After nearly reaching agreement on November 23 before talks collapsed, the two sides finally came to an agreement on November 27.
Wearing a bad fright wig and phony beard and a pair of sunglasses with only one lens, he interacted with the movies and created an ongoing patter and rehearsed skits during the movie breaks.
In its early years, the station lagged behind its competitors in producing local programming, perhaps because its studio was located at the transmitter in Parma, while the other stations had studios downtown.
A young Alan Freed, previously at WAKR radio in Akron, worked for WXEL starting in 1949.
Some of the daytime shows originated at Cinecraft Productions on Franklin Boulevard in Ohio City.
WXEL also carried an affiliation with the short-lived Paramount Television Network, and in fact was one of that network's strongest affiliates.
It was founded by the Empire Coil Company, a wartime manufacturer of radio coils and transformers.
In its early years, WXEL was a primary Du Mont affiliate, and later became a secondary provider of ABC programs, sharing that affiliation with WEWS (channel 5).
WXEL also carried a number of CBS programs that WEWS declined to air.
After Bob Wells departed channel 8 in September 1979, his position was filled by local jeweler and little person "Lil' John" Rinaldi, who had also previously performed in skits on the show.
The program was renamed The Big Chuck and Lil' John Show, and it continued airing on Friday nights before moving to Saturday nights in the early 1990s.